Tuesday, June 27, 2006

At the Hot Soup

I went to the Hot Soup place with my coworkers. Let me tell you, I did not expect the soup to be this HOT. First, I will explain what hot soup is. Basically, it is a combination of meat, vegetables, noodles in a pan of sauce. This food is fried in front of you as you sit on the floor waiting for it to cook. Okay, that's like every Korean restaurant. Although they have the same way of cooking, the food tastes different at each restaurant. (It's like how every Chinese restaurant in the US has the same food on menu but the food taste differently no matter what you order. How Chinese restaurants make General TSO chicken taste like 50 different ways I will never know.)

Here are some of the things I learned while eating Hot Soup at this restaurant.

1. Water and Rice are your friend: You got to understand that this food is HOT HOT. Don't even think about drinking a soft drink with your food. You need something to soak up the spicyness which rice and water are good for. I would suggest Milk but umm....next point.

2. Yoga Skills required: My legs kept going numb as I sat on the floor. I don't know how they expect me to sit on the floor in Indian style when the last time I sat like that was as a child. My advice is to take some yoga lessons before you come to Korea so your legs won't get numb while sitting on the floor. Then it will just be your butt getting numb but that's a whole other discussion.

3. Chopsticks mastery: Go to as many restuarants as you can that require the use of chopsticks before you come to Korea. Nothing more embarassing than not being able to use chopsticks and being the only person that has to use a fork. The hardest thing to master with chopsticks is pickign up noodles (Note: remember the circle rule when using chopsticks).

4. Tissue: The food is so spicy that as you eat you have to use a tissue. You got sinus problems, go eat some spicy Korean food. It works wonders. And yes, they had a box of tissues at the table.

After we ate lunch, we went passed a store and Park bought everyone desserts. I got a Kiwi Icee. It was GOOD. Don't sleep on the desserts. They are delicious. However, I will not forgive Korean 7-11 for not having slurpees. That is just sacrilege.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home